Fashion Fix Friday – 11th April Edition
How to look taller
This week I’ve had several perfect petite ladies in the Boutique and after talking about how to look taller or just not to look too short, I thought I would share some top tips to looking taller.
1. Create “v” shapes with your necklines to lengthen the body by making the eye travel up and down. You can do this by wearing V neck tops, opening shirts and jackets to create a V or you can even add a long pendant-style necklace to create a V if you’re wearing something round or high necked. Pleats can also work because they create vertical lines.
2. Wear similar colours from head to toe and match shoes to tights or trousers. Doing this means you’re creating a continuous line of colour, which gives the illusion of length. Consider investing in nude coloured shoes for when you’ve got bare legs or wearing flesh coloured tights – it’ll make your legs look longer (a fab tip for anyone wanting longer looking legs).
3. Hemlines should be long or short. A midi skirt and cropped trousers may not be for you! Flowing fabrics can help create the illusion of length so a maxi skirt or dress could be your new BF. You may want to brush up on your sewing skills so you can adjust hemlines to suit you. A skirt that sits above the knee will also flatter, making your legs look longer.
4. Patterns on fabrics should be small so they don’t overwhelm you.
5. Think carefully about your accessories. If you want to wear a belt, opt for narrow ones (thick ones could look out of proportion). Use necklaces and scarves to create Vs and length. Avoid big handbags as they will look out of proportion and can make you look wider instead select small clutches or shoulder bags.
Here are a few suggestions:
Dress by Fever, £59.99. This works because it’s a shift dress with v neck and vertical lines plus it sits above the knee so also makes the legs look longer!
Dress by Skunkfunk, £79. This is patterned, but a small one and the cowl neck drapes creating a v shape. This dress finishes at the knee at the front. Wear with bare legs and nude shoes. The model here is only 5’2″.
Kling bag, £21. Small, structured and can be held or worn on the shoulder.
Long necklace £15. Create a v shape and lenght by using a necklace – this one with neon orange works well over navy or black.