Fashion Fix Friday 9th May Edition
Shoulder pads – not just an 80’s fad!
This week’s fix has been inspired by listening to Absolute 80’s Radio , thinking about 80’s fashion and, in particular, the shoulder pad.
I feel the shoulder pad has a bad reputation but really it should be your new best friend!
Shoulder pads are the solution to many body problems that we all encounter because they create shape. Nowadays, you can get shoulder pads in different styles and shapes so they work for your shape and your style.
Shoulder pads can fix the following “issues”:
- Make you look slimmer – by strengthening the shoulder line you balance out any lower body fullness.
- Broaden narrow shoulders or straighten sloping shoulders – play around with size and shape of the shoulder pad so you find one that creates a balanced (or hourglass) silhouette. This can also make you look like you’ve got excellent posture!
- If you’d like to look shorter, use a bigger shoulder pad to create a strong horizontal line across the shoulder. Creating horizontal lines stops the eye going up and down (which would emphasis your height).
- If you’re very slim and seeking to look bigger, add shoulder pads to your layers or bulky fabrics to look more shapely or heavier.
- Make your arms look longer.
Moreover, with removable pads, you can play around with them in your clothes and see how you can change the look of something just by adding the shoulder pads – suddenly feels like you have a lot more looks available from the same number of clothes!
One tip – try to avoid bulky shoulder pads if you’re already broad shouldered, unless it’s a definite statement that you want to make. You can still use a small pad to balance out any sloping shoulders though.
We’re looking into stocking some fashion fix goodies in the Boutique. In the meantime, if you’d like to invest in some shoulder pads, have a look at these . We like the range of style and colour plus they can attach to your bra strap so will stay in place.